Home ›› Students ›› International Students ›› International Students Office

Welcome to Frank Phillips College

Frank Phillips College wishes to extend a special welcome to students from outside the United States.

A friendly faculty and staff at FPC attend to the needs of international students, assisting them as they adjust to American culture. Classes are small and are affordably priced at some of the lowest international student tuition rates in the nation.

We want to make your stay warm and welcome.

That's why Frank Phillips College helps you through the student visa requirements and guides you through a successful academic experience. It's part of our pledge to help every student succeed.

International students wishing to study here as an F-1 or an M-1 student must complete the following procedures to be considered for admission.

International Student Admissions Process

International students admitted to FPC

  • After you arrive | Assessment
  • Maintaining your visa status
  • Distance learning class restrictions
  • Reinstatement
  • Employment
  • Health insurance
  • Housing
  • Tuition & fees
  • Re-entering the United States
  • Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination
  • English Language Assessment

    International students are advised to begin the application process several months before the application deadline for the semester they plan to attend Frank Phillips College. TOEFL or IELTS scores need to be available by the application deadline, so the test should be taken in the fall or early spring. Students may take the test several times to improve their scores. 

    The TOEFL score must be sent to Frank Phillips College from http://www.ets.org/toefl The Frank Phillips College code is 6222. TOEFL scores are valid for only two years.
    The IELTS score must be sent to Frank Phillips College from http://www.ielts.org/ Minimum IELTS required score is an overall band score of 6.0 on the Academic version. IELTS scores are valid for only two years.  

    English Language Assessment scores may be waived for students who studied two years at an American high school and graduated in the United States. GED holders must meet the testing requirements.


    International students will need to submit official transcripts from any high school and college attended. If a graduation date is not included on the transcripts, the student must also include an original diploma (these documents will be returned to the student upon arrival at the college).

    These documents must bear the signature and seal of the institution sending them or be certified by an embassy or consulate. Documents must be originals; photocopies will not be accepted. 

    Official English translations must be submitted for documents not written in English. Original foreign transcripts will be returned upon check-in to the ISO.

    Financial Support

    Individuals from outside the United States may attend Frank Phillips College by meeting regular admission standards, special admission requirements and deadlines for international students. In addition, international students must agree to comply with all international student regulations in order to remain enrolled. In order to be considered for admission, students must submit:
    1. A general application completed at www.applytexas.org
    2. Frank Phillips College International Application for Admission.
    3. Post a $10,060.00 bond prior to registration for your first year of study and an additional $10,060.00 one month prior to the beginning of the second year of study.
    4. Copy (ies) of passport information (name, passport number, address, etc.)
    5. Official high school or college/university transcripts (s). Transcripts must be translated into English.
    6. Official score report on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 on the paper test or 173 on the computer exam or 70 on the internet based test.
    7. A physician’s statement showing proof of immunization record. As of 01/01/2012 all students attending a Texas college or university must have proof of Bacterial Meningitis vaccination prior to enrolling in classes at Frank Phillips College.
    8. Financial statement showing proof of funds to cover $10,060.00 per calendar year to cover educational and living expenses. International Students are not eligible for any financial aid through Frank Phillips College Student Financial Services Office. Students will post a bond of $10,060.00 one month prior to attending Frank Phillips College. A second bond will be required for the second year of study at FPC. If you are on athletic scholarship and your coach is covering your expenses for tuition, fees, housing, and meals, you will not be required to post the $10,060.00 bond. However, we will require proof of financial support indicating the ability to pay for books, non educational expenses and airfare home.
    9. Student housing form should be filled out and submitted with deposit. All students are required to pay the deposit for their dorm room.
    10. Proof of medical insurance prior to admission. Verification of medical insurance is required for each semester of enrollment.
    All of the above material must be received in the Admissions Office by the following dates:
    Fall Semester
    June 1
    Spring Semester
    October 1
    Summer Semesters
    March 1
    Applications received after the deadline date will be considered for admission for the next semester. International students who wish to transfer to Frank Phillips College from another accredited U.S. college or university must have the Frank Phillips College International Student SEVIS Transfer Form completed by the international advisor from the previously attended institution prior to admission.

    International Housing

    International students are required to live in campus housing.  There are three residence halls; Stephens Hall (men), Goins (women) and Tyler St. (coed).  All students living on campus must purchase a meal ticket.  Residence halls close during the Thanksgiving holiday, during the recess between semesters, during spring break, and during the summer.  Students are responsible for arranging their own accommodation during the closed period.  A housing form and a $150 housing deposit must be submitted online.

    Housing Form

    Before You Arrive

    Once you are admitted to Frank Phillips College, the International Student Office will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20). This document, together with the certificate or letter of admission, the financial guarantee, and your passport, is used to obtain an F-1or M-1 visa at a U.S. consulate nearest to you. These documents must also be shown when you enter the United States.

    Residency and Texas Senate Bill 1528


    Senate Bill 1528 is a repeal of the previous Texas law, House Bill 1403. This new version of the law will be effective from September 1, 2006. Eligibility for admission under this law will begin with students applying for the Fall 2006 semester.


    1. Must have graduated from a Texas high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma (e.g. GED) in the state of Texas; and
    2. Must have resided in the state of Texas for the three years immediately preceding graduation from high school or the receipt of the GED certificate; and
    3. Must not have established a residence outside the state of Texas during the 12 months prior to enrollment at Frank Phillips College; and
    4. Must provide a notarized letter stating that:
    5. They will file an application to become a permanent resident of the U.S. at the earliest opportunity they will be eligible to do so.

    Admission Requirements:

    1. FPC Application
    2. Senate Bill Student Data Form w/photo
    3. Senate Bill Affidavit (Must be notarized)
    4. Official High School or College Transcript and Diploma (translated into English).

    If you have been in Texas for more than one year, you may qualify for in-state tuition when you prove Texas Residency.
    To prove Texas Residency, you must provide the following:

    1. High School Transcript if you attended a Texas high school for at least 3 years and graduated.


    1. Official GED certificate along with proof of having resided in Texas for at least 3 years prior to the receipt of the GED.
    2. If it has been a year or more since you either a) graduated from a Texas high school or b) received a Texas GED certificate, you may also be asked to provide proof that you have been residing in Texas for the 12 months prior to your enrollment at FPC.

    After You Arrive

    Once you arrive you will need to visit FPC’s  Student Services Office to submit the following:

    • A current passport
    • I-94 card
    • A stamped I-20

    You also will need to complete the following before you can register for classes:

    • Assessment
    • Academic advising

    Welcome to Assessment

    Assessment tests help you choose the right classes to meet your educational goals. FPC assessments meet Texas Success Initiative requirements. Advisors and counselors will use your scores to recommend classes you should take.

    Taking an assessment

    Texas Success Initiative

    The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) is a state-legislated program designed to improve student success in college. Students are required to take an approved assessment before enrolling in college credit classes or otherwise demonstrate they are prepared to meet college reading, writing, and math skill requirements.

    The TSI program has two components:

    • Assessment to diagnose students' basic skills in reading, mathematics, and writing
    • Developmental education courses to strengthen academic skills that need improvement

    Who Must Take Assessment Tests?

    The following students must take basic assessments in reading, writing, and mathematics before they register:

    • Those attending college credit classes for the first time
    • Those enrolling for the first time in a reading, writing, mathematics, or general education course

    The following students do not have to take assessments:

    • Those who received qualifying scores on the ACT or SAT (within five years).
    • Those who previously attended any institution and were determined to have met the readiness standards by that institution
    • Those who transferred to FPC with college credit from an out-of-state or private Texas college that satisfies the FPC core curriculum (passed with a grade of C or better)
    • Those who were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty, Texas National Guard, or military reserves on or after Aug. 1, 1990
    • Those who currently serve on active duty as members of the U.S. armed forces and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment.
    • Those who major in a Level 1 certificate program. Note: Assessment may be required if the student registers for courses with skill prerequisites.

    Previous scores or transcripts must be presented to an advisor or counselor before registration.

    Signing Up for an Assessment

    If you are planning to take the TSI, you should:

    1. Contact the Director of Counseling, Testing, and Career Services located in Classroom Learning Complex 22 or call 457-4220 Ext. 777.
    2. Make an appointment with an advisor so you know the correct sections to take.

    The Day of the Test

    You should arrive 15 minutes before test times. You will need to bring the following items with you:

    • A Photo ID
    • $10 for each test section you are required to take

    Maintaining Your Visa Status

    F-1 and M-1 students are required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to maintain a minimum of 12 semester credit hours during the spring and fall semesters. Students are required to successfully complete a full course of study that leads to the attainment of a specific educational objective.

    Students are considered "out of status" by DHS if they fall below the minimum semester credit hour requirement. There are some exceptions to the DHS credit hour requirement. Meet with a college advisor or counselor if you need more information.

    Semester credit hours earned by "placement exams" or earned while concurrently enrolled at a different institution will not be applied to this 12 semester hours credit requirement.

    Distance Learning Class Restrictions

    F1 or M-1 students who register for fall or spring classes are limited to the equivalent of one online/distance learning class. (This does not apply to classes taken during the summer semester.)

    No more than three semester credit hours of distance learning classes per fall or spring semester will count toward the Department of Homeland Security's “full course of study” requirement.

    Students who do not follow this restriction are considered out-of-status by the DHS.


    You must apply to the Immigration and Naturalization Service for reinstatement to F-1 or M-1 student status if you have lost your F-1 or M-1 status by any of the following actions:

    • You did not carry a full program of study
    • You did not attend school during a fall or spring semester, unless you were excused for medical reasons
    • You remained in the United States beyond the time authorized under duration of status and did not apply for extension of stay

    You violated the immigration regulations in any other manner.


    On-campus employment

    International students who have a valid, current F-1 or M-1 visa are eligible for part time (20 hours per week) employment on campus. F-1 or M-1 students must maintain good Department of Homeland Security status to be eligible for on-campus employment.

    Off-campus employment

    An F-1 or M-1 students may be authorized by the Department of Homeland Security to work off-campus while school is in session based on severe economic hardship. (Proof of economic hardship is required.) The student must be enrolled full time, in F-1 or M-1 status for at least one full academic year and be in good academic standing. For employment authorization forms and instructions, visit the International Student Office. DHS Employment Authorization is automatically terminated if a student does not maintain good F-1 or M-1 status.

    Health Insurance

    International students must maintain personal health insurance while attending Frank Phillips College. There is no national health care program, so students are responsible for their personal healthcare needs.


    Tuition & Fees

    International students pay tuition rates set for nonresidents.

    Re-entering the United States

    You should meet with the International Student Office before you leave the country in order to ensure you will be allowed re-entry. You will need the following documents for re-entry into the United States:

    • Valid F-1 or M-1 visa
    • Valid passport
    • FPC SEVIS I-20 endorsed by a Designated School Official for re-entry

    Proof of financial support may be required



    Frank Phillips College © 2011-2017 - P.O. Box 5118 • Borger, TX 79008-5118 • Phone: 806-457-4200
    Notice of Nondiscrimination